In keeping with my philosophy of what makes a lede story, here is my pseudo-front page for this evening:
- BP Attempts ‘Top Kill’ Method to Seal Oil Well in Gulf (NYT) — Lots of fingers being crossed at this point. And wings and fins, too, no doubt.
- US demands world response over Korea warship sinking (BBC) — Something I’ve wondered, but haven’t seen it addressed: Now that we’ve pledged “unequivocal” military backing to South Korea, what if China does the same for its pals in the North? A 1914 scenario.
- Dow Slides Below 10000 (WSJ) — The first close that low since early February, as the Euro tumbles…
- Jamaica shoot-out death toll ‘rises to 44’ (BBC) — You may also be interested in this step-back story from NPR, “Drug Violence Tarnishes Jamaica’s Paradise Image.”
- Facebook Redesigns Privacy Controls (WSJ) — I don’t know about you, but putting “Facebook” and “privacy” in the same sentence seems a tad oxymoronic to me.
- The Continuing Nikki Haley Mess (various) — With Nikki leading the GOP polls, this remains significant, unfortunately. Yet another slow news day in SC. There’s not even anything NEW on this…