At about this time on this date in 1944, the paratroopers of the 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions were at the airfield about to be flown across the English Channel to drop behind German lines in the opening moves of the Normandy invasion. But then Ike got a bad weather report and delayed D-Day for a day.
In our somewhat more sedate era, here’s the top news at this hour:
- Highway Patrol critical of city’s Benjamin investigation (thestate.com) — But the HiPos agree with the city cops’ conclusions. Note that “the city also plans to release its full 200-page accident investigation report later tonight.
BP begins capturing oil as Obama makes third trip to Gulf Coast (WashPost) — Yay, robots, huh? Nice work, R2…
- Stock Prices Slump; Dow Below 10000 (WSJ) — Some days it looks like we’re coming out of this; other days it doesn’t.
- Second Set of Activists Steams Toward Gaza (NYT) — Well, isn’t that just frickin’ great? Just what we needed. Meanwhile, “Turkey Close To Severing Ties With Israel Over Raid.”
- US says 80% of al-Qaeda leaders in Iraq removed (BBC) — Which means captured or killed, all in the last three months.
- Does the Internet Make You Smarter or Dumber? (WSJ) — Since you’re reading this, you’ve got to be hoping “Smarter,” right?