In keeping with my anachronistic philosophy of what makes a lede story, here is my first pseudo-front page coming off the long weekend:
- U.S. Opens Criminal Inquiry Into Gulf Oil Spill (NYT) — While the crude just keeps on spewing.
- Israel to deport detainees captured on Gaza ships (WashPost) — Normally, I go to the BBC first for international news. But not when it’s about Israel. That would be like going to Fox for news about Obama. The WashPost was more evenhanded. Israel has screwed up enough on this one without spinning it. OK, I think I’ve provoked enough for one brief news item.
- Al-Qaeda No. 3 Yazid reported killed by U.S. drone (WashPost) — This time, al Qaeda confirms.
- Columbia Cops Complete Benjamin Crash Probe (WIS) — It’s been turned over to the state Department of Public Safety for review.
- Al And Tipper Gore Decide To Separate (WashPost) — After 40 years of marriage. Meanwhile, in unrelated but coincidental news…
- Global Warming Makes Everest Unsafe To Climb (BBC) — Well, there go my summer vacation plans. But wait — wasn’t the idea behind climbing it that it was, you know, unsafe?