This is just to give y’all some resources, and someplace to comment if you feel so moved. The picture of what happened — and is happening — is still taking shape. Hawaii seems to be out of trouble — although I’d appreciate an on-the-spot report on that from our own Pacific correspondent, Burl Burlingame.
Personally, on something like this, I tend to turn first to the Los Angeles Times. Of the largest papers in this country, that’s the one most likely to have the best reporting and perspective on developments in the Pacific Rim (that’s pretty intuitive, of course, but I had it confirmed back in my days as an editor responsible for the front page, and the national desk, back in Wichita, when I had to study all of our news services to see who had the best take on each national/international story).
But here are several you can follow:
- L.A. Times — 8.9 quake kills hundreds in Japan
- New York Times — Comments of readers on the scene
- BBC — Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake
- CNN — MASSIVE QUAKE HITS JAPAN
- NPR — Massive Quake, Tsunami Batter Japan
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser — Tsunami arrives on all islands in Hawaii, no damage reported
That’s probably all you need right now. Comment away.