This has actually been sitting in my IN box for a couple of weeks, as I’ve pondered the mystery it contains.
What, pray tell, would make Amazon think I’m such a geek, that they would send me this particular come-on?
Below you see the Amazon page to which the link in the email sent me. Allow me to point out that:
- I’m not a trekkie. I did see the movie that came out several years ago — the one famously satirized in the “Hitler” video — and enjoyed it, despite the Führer’s reservations. But not any of the TV series. I did try to start watching the original series on Netflix recently, but didn’t get very far.
- I was never into Transformers. Although we did have some in our house back in the day, they belonged to my kids.
- I don’t play video games, per se, as we don’t own a gaming console (and haven’t since the early Nintendo boxes, long ago). I have been known to play Call of Duty: World at War on my laptop, but that’s about it. Except that, if I could find our CDs for the Caesar III game I used to play, and it would work on my current operating system, I might play that, too. Ditto with Warcraft II, but not III, which I thought sucked. I need to move on now, because I fear I’m starting to undermine my case for not being a geek…
- I clicked on the “Music for Geeks” link, and I had never heard of any of those “nerdcore” bands.
- I haven’t dressed up as a superhero since I was a little kid with a towel pinned to the shoulders of my T-shirt, playing Superman.
And so forth. I have just one incriminating confession: I did recently download the “Walking Dead” game app for my iPad, and played it a little. Hey, it was free. I didn’t get into it very far — I found the controls insufficiently responsive. It was too hard to grab a weapon and use it before a walker got me, so I got discouraged.