I went down to the demonstration, to get my fair share of heat stroke.
I’m talking about this one, over at USC:
Jennifer Clyburn Reed tells #Gamecocks4Integrity rally that she worries about what her three degrees from USC will be worth if the school loses its accreditation over political interference… pic.twitter.com/lZufVuyU2p
— Brad Warthen (@BradWarthen) July 17, 2019
Jennifer was ONE of the speakers, along with Steve Benjamin, Bakari Sellers, and students and faculty members I didn’t know. I’m not sure who all ended up speaking, but this was the official roster in advance:
- Todd Shaw – Associate Professor of Political Science
- Zechariah Willoughby – Student
- Christian Anderson – Associate Professor of Education
- Steve Benjamin – Former UofSC Student Body President & Mayor of Columbia
- Jennifer Clyburn Reed – Alumna & Center Director, College of Education
- Elizabeth Regan – Department Chair, Integrated Information Technology
- Bakari Sellers – Law School Alumnus & Former SC State Representative
- Lyric Swinton – Student
And all through it, I kept wondering what I’ve been wondering from the start about all this: What’s Henry McMaster’s motivation? Why stir this pot?
The thing is, what he’s done is get a lot of folks who didn’t care one way or the other about this Caslen guy to get all mad because of the ham-handed way he’s gone about it.
What will happen on Friday? What’s happening behind the scenes between now and Friday? Is all this worth it? And if so, to whom?