Well it was a big day on the SC front, with a cigarette tax becoming a reality. Sure, it’s pathetic that that should be a big deal, since it’s a no-brainer that should have happened, easily, years and years ago. But let’s celebrate anyway:
- Senate Easily Overrides Cigarette Tax Veto (thestate.com) — So starting July 1, we’ll no longer have the distinction of doing the most in the nation to keep cigarettes cheap for kids.
- F.B.I. Arrests 3 in Raids Linked to Times Sq. Bomb Case (NYT) — So much for the lone bomber. Will be interesting to find out just how much of a network the Pakistani Taliban had here.
- Obama to critics: I told you so (WSJ) — On the day a poll showed the Republicans making significant gains, maybe even taking Congress in November if the patterns hold, Obama signals he’s not backing down to anybody.
- Oil rig owner aims to limit liability (WashPost) — Why, the nervy so-and-sos…
- Thai red-shirt supporter Gen Khattiya shot (BBC) — It was interesting, and ominous, to watch this developing on Twitter early this morning. How ominous is it? “The US has closed its embassy in Bangkok saying it is ‘very concerned’ – and the UK also said it was closing its embassy on Friday because of the situation.”
- City Council Moves on Police Consolidation (thestate.com) — Just a small turn of the screw, but it’s a step.