Interesting thing about this page — the top three stories are the very different takes on the Syria story, from three major news outlets. Each is the lede story at that paper’s site. You don’t often get such widely varying, blind-men-describing-the-elephant descriptions of a major news story to this extent. But this is a particularly complex story, that’s rapidly developing in many important directions:
- U.S. and Allies to Explore U.N. Path to Secure Chemical Arms (NYT) — So, the main thing to know is that we’re working toward consensus.
- Syria Admits It Possesses Chemical Weapons (WSJ) — Yeah, that would definitely be the clear lede, if all this other stuff weren’t going on. Meanwhile, you might want to read the sidebar, about how Syria views the latest diplomatic developments as a “victory.”
- Russia balks at French plan for U.N. resolution (WashPost) — Wow. A whole other story from the other two. As I said, you don’t often see editors go in this many directions.
- Group backing strong-mayor vote says it has the signatures (thestate.com) — I mentioned this earlier.
- Four convicted for Delhi gang rape (BBC) — Good. Now let’s see what kind of sentence they get.
- Apple Unveils New iPhones — One Innovative, One Cheap (NPR) — I can’t wait to see ’em. No, really — I can’t wait. Gimme. One for each hand. 🙂