Since I’ve been lax about posting today, and you haven’t had one of these lately:
- Nelson Mandela, Peaceful Liberator, Dies (NYT) — This was the breaking news that made me think, “I should do a Virtual Front Page.” He was 95.
- France takes military action in CAR (BBC) — While people in this country were yammering about Sarah Palin and some guy named Martin Bashir, 100 people were dying in the Central African Republic. France is going in to try to stop it. Because France does stuff like that nowadays, unlike certain other countries that could be mentioned. Ahem. But in our defense: The UN Security Council unanimously approved French action, which is something it doesn’t do for us.
- Pope to Set Up Commission on Clerical Child Abuse (NYT) — The new broom gets set to do some more sweeping.
- Stolen cobalt-60 found; thieves likely dead or dying (WashPost) — This takes the “Dumb Crook News” meme to a new level.
- GOP Family Feud: ‘Showboat’ DeMint Takes on ‘Tyrant’ McConnell (NPR) — In case you wondered what our boy was up to lately.
- Taboo, X-rated shop, announces it is closing (The State) — Oh, no! So where am I going to buy dirty stuff if I need some? Oh, year, the internet. In fact, why was there a shop for this in 2013 anyway? Showrooming?