Here’s what’s happening:
- Biden Offers Glimpse of Gun Control Plan Coming in Days (NYT) — He speaks of “consensus,” but the NRA is not happy.
- S.C.’s top educator, cop differ on guns in schools (thestate,com) — Quick show of hands: Who is shocked, shocked, that Mick Zais has jumped on this bandwagon?
- Pakistan explosions kill scores (BBC) — I was debating between using this, and the story about Leon Panetta saying we’ve entered our “last chapter” in Afghanistan, which at least sounded important, but I went with the actual event rather than the rhetorical flourish.
- Former SC State board chairman, police chief charged in kickback schemes (thestate.com) — Do things ever settle down and get normal on the SC state board? Over the years, it just seems like one upheaval after another…
- Despite 12 Years in Senate, Hagel Has Few Allies There (NYT) — Sounds like the guy made more enemies than I did in 12 years as editorial page editor. Did he try as hard, or was he just a natural?
- Crazy Or Canny? Talk Grows Of $1 Trillion Platinum Coin (NPR) — My gut says crazy, but we’ve pretty much established that my gut knows little about money.