Here are your top stories:
- Egypt’s Leaders Select Premier and Plan for Quick Elections (NYT) — Meanwhile, the military warns against anyone “disrupting” the process.
- City Council votes to forge ahead on Bull Street (thestate.com) — Rejects a delay by 4-3 vote. Mayor says, “This deal will die today if we don’t move forward.”
- FBI nominee James Comey defends NSA surveillance program (WashPost) — At Senate confirmation hearings.
- Former Fisa judge says US must fix secret courts (The Guardian) — They’re still on about this, still leading with it. Meanwhile, the Daily Mail provides surveillance photos of celebrities in bikinis…
- U.S. Safety Board Interviews Pilots (WSJ) — Probe into San Francisco crash continues.
- Sheheen names campaign manager for 2014 (thestate.com) — Hey, it’s a slow news day. Vincent again goes with an out-of-state guy. I guess Democrats with winning records are thin on the ground in SC.
This whole Egypt deal (don’t call it a coup) could turn into a civil war if handled improperly. Having said that, I would note that the default Obama position of not taking sides while calling for restraint seems to be working in this instance. (So far.)
I just hope that foreign jihadis don’t start heading over to Egypt looking to start a fight. Luckily, there are plenty of other places that jihadis looking for a fight can go.
I’ll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday
Then I’ll get on my knees and pray (to Allah)
We don’t get fooled again
Don’t get fooled again, no no
Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss (Mohammed,peace be unto him)
– The Who
Re: The Bull Street Debacle – We’ll pay for this. Oh, we will pay….
Let’s talk about the baker / mother of four who was killed by gang members who were out on bail for violent offenses and multiple crimes. This is why I believe in the death penalty. Fifty plus years in prison for these criminals isn’t a punishment.
Columbia has a gang problem that 4k kindergarten can’t fix. Waiting to hear the mayor drive in from WoodCreek to comment.
4K may well not fix a gang problem, much as handwashing and potable water won’t cure cholera, but may reduce the spread…
Gangs are another symptom of the actual disease: poor unwed mothers having multiple children that they cannot care for.
Too bad we can’t make that the issue.
I am a big proponent of setting up a “gulag” style prison down in the swamp, maybe at Alvin S. Glenn and putting the inmates all in tents. There’s no reason we need to spend 20 grand a year on them.
Plenty of good swampland down in the ACE Basin.
We must have been on our best behavior to get a Virtual Front Page, it seems like forever since we’ve had one.
You get ’em when I’m feeling shiftless and guilty. There had been that long four-day weekend, during which I only put up two short posts, then I was on the road all day on business and nowhere near a keyboard on Monday.
The nice thing about a VFP is that it offers six topics of conversation economically, thereby partly compensating for a recent lack of fodder…