Just a quick overview:
- House GOP Won’t Block Bill to End Shutdown (WSJ) — That’s big of them. So, after all their “we’re going to bring the world down around our own heads to make a point” theatrics, they end up with a handful of nothin’, as Dragline would say. As the WSJ also says, “Cruz Comes Up Empty-Handed.” And the NYT says, “At 11th Hour, G.O.P. Blinks in Standoff.” The WashPost says, “Measure leaves Obamacare almost completely untouched.”
- City, sheriff, USC police, solicitor meet to discuss Five Points (thestate.com) — I don’t know what all is coming out of this meeting, but this is the biggest story going locally.
- Reps. Kirkman Finlay, Leon Howard call for bond reform for violent crimes (thestate.com) — Related to above.
- Lott apologizes for deputy who abused female Fort Jackson soldier (thestate.com) — Sheriff says “I wish I could strangle him.” Here’s the video of the incident.
- Hagel apologizes to Medal of Honor recipient (WashPost) — For the failure to provide air and artillery support when Capt. Swenson and his buddies needed it.
- Afghans Fend Off Taliban Threat in Pivotal Year (NYT) — Security forces rising to challenge, U.S. officials say.